Sunday, May 1, 2011

Emily's post... or most of it...

I love reading Emily Kines' posts on her blog. I was so touched by this one, I decided to post most of it on this blog. I'm sure Emily doesn't mind. Besides, it's already on the web for the world to see...

Too many flowers?

emilykines | May 1, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Categories: Children | URL: http://wp.me/p1reqv-3h
"It's nice to have a baby around the house."
This is what Anne Elise said to me this morning and my soul soared. Yes, it's so nice. There's nothing better. There is nothing better! Even with the sleepless nights. It reminds me of my favorite Mother Teresa quote, "How can there be too many children? It's like saying there are too many flowers?" I couldn't agree more. Maybe my favorite quote ever. I love flowers, but I love babies more. And you can't have enough of either.
It is our responsibility to instill in our children a love for children.We have never brought a new baby home and not had him or her completely loved and embraced by all of the family members - even the two year old. Even with the incessant screaming that always accompanies our little bundles of joy. I think this has to be our lifestyle. There's a Biblical mandate to love children. Jesus loved children. He even tells us that we must become like them. He told the disciples to let them come. What an awesome picture! Can you imagine children running to Him? Grabbing His legs? Climbing in His lap? God made flesh with children on His knee...
It's an amazing thought that we have the privilege of that kind of relationship with God. He created the universe with a word and He has adopted us. Ephesians chapter 1 says, "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding."
We have redemption because He chose to adopt us.
He chose to adopt us.
He chose to adopt us.
Josh and I have said for a long time that we want lots of children. They ask us for a number and we say "at least 7" and they think we're joking - or crazy. We are. And we're lying. We really want at least a dozen. Unless I die of sleep deprivation before then. And that seems more and more possible everyday.
I blogged a while ago that I have a fussy baby. The fourth one. That's four out of four. Some friends have asked if I still want more children. The answer is YES! Lord willing. I certainly am not saying that everyone should have lots of children. I'm not even saying that everyone should have children. I am saying that we should all love children. We should see them for what they are - blessings. They are always blessings. God's Word tells us so.
Am I saying all of this because I got a full night's sleep last night for the first time in six weeks? Yes. No. Maybe. It doesn't matter. If we believe God's Word to be infallible. Inherent. Then we believe Psalms 127 when it says, "Children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate. "
So go have babies. Lots of them. Or adopt a whole bunch. Or both! And don't ever sleep again. Ever. Sleep is overrated anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment