I was cleaning out some cabinets and ran across this. Mother had typed it and stuck it in a book (which dates it to the late fifties/early sixties). Interesting and applicable, although there is much we can add. Life was much simpler then!
How to Rear a Delinquent
1. Begin with infancy to give the chid everything he wants. In this way he will grow up believing the world owes him a living.
2. When he picks up "bad" words or "dirty" words, laugh at him. That will make him think he is cute. He will run off and pick up some other words that will blow the top off your head.
3. Never give him any spiritual training until he is 21, and then let him decide for himself. By the same logic, never teach him the English language. Maybe when he is old enough he may want to speak Bantu.
4. Praise him in his presence to all the neighbors; show how much smarter he is then the neighbors children.
5. Avoid the use of the word "wrong". It may develop in the child a guilt complex. This will prepare him to believe that when he is punished later on for stealing cars or assaulting women, society is against him and that he is being persecuted.
6. Pick up everything after him: his shoes, his books, his clothes. Do everything for him, so that he will be experienced in throwing burdens on others.
7. Let him read [modern day: watch] anything he wants. Have no concern whatever for what goes into his mind. Provide him with lily cups for his lips, but let his brain drink of any dirty container for words and ideas.
8. Quarrel frequently in the presence of your child. In this way he will be prepared for a broken home later on.
9. Give him all the spending money he wants. Never let him earn his own.
10. Satisfy every craving of the child for food, drinks, and everything that has to do with the sense of taste and touch, gratifying every sensual desire.
11. Take his part against policemen, teachers, and neighbors. They are all prejudiced against your child.
12. When he gets into real trouble, always defend yourself and say, "I need could not do anything with him."