Monday, April 2, 2012

Happy Holy Week

 Last night a song, that I first heard in my teenage years, began playing over and over in my head: Idol With A Golden Head performed originally in 1957 by the Coasters, who took it to the top 100s chart. (In case you're wondering, I was NOT a teenager in 1957; I wasn't even thought of by my parents yet!) The words to the song begin with
Got myself an idol with a golden head 
Put it on a shelf right above my bed;
Got down on my knees and I began to pray...
after each line, the background singers sing
Great big idol with the golden head...

Even as a young, confused teenager, I was uncomfortable with the words. Seemed very bold and blasphemous. Who had golden idols, anyway? And who in the world would be stupid enough to pray to one? How dumb.


Yet in the last few years, I've become more and more aware of the idols we have. Of the idols I have. They are definitely dumb. Joy destroyers. Relaxation killers. Serving idols is so hard. A very demanding, time consuming, demeaning business. Lately, particularly yesterday, I have become much more aware that I still bow down to them. Not as often, maybe not as low. But still bowing. Bowing to my approval-seeking idol, my self-serving idol, my children-pleasing idol, my guilt-carrying idol,  my staying-busy idol. All of these idols turn my face away from my Father. Each one keeps my focus off of what Christ did on the cross.  What He FINISHED on the cross. 


"And you, who were dead in your trespasses and uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross." Colossians 2:13-14 


I find it odd that in 1957, the "good Christian" years in America, Idol With A Golden Head was on the 100 Chart. We never stopped loving the golden calf. Our idols are in place, because we do not think what Jesus did was enough. We think we need to have one more thing... or more. "If only... then I would be happy." That's an idol. I'm going out on a limb and state: anything that causes undue stress or anxiety is idol-serving. Look deeply enough and you'll find it. It's there. Underneath the facade of our self-righteousness. 


Jesus paid it all. Did it all. Canceled the debt. The eternal debt that not one hair of my head is good enough to pay. When I am facing the cross and following Christ, I can't bow to any idols. In fact, they disappear. And the joy returns. The deep sigh of rest is heard. Peace takes over. And I fall more deeply in love with my God.


As you look towards Easter this week, dwell on what Christ really did on that cross so long ago. And rejoice.






No comments:

Post a Comment